As much as you may like Sibelius (the composer), you may not be keen on hearing the same excerpt of one of his symphonies every time you launch Sibelius (the application).
If not, go to File > Preferences > Other and uncheck “Play music” under When Sibelius 7 Starts:
But what if, instead of hearing the serene sounds of Jean Sibelius, you wanted to hear something a little more exciting — say, for instance, the theme to ABC/ESPN’s Monday Night Football?*
Are you ready for some music? Here’s how, on Mac. (The PC process should be similar, but perhaps users can chime in with the analogous instructions for PC.)
- Be sure “Play music” is checked (not unchecked like above)
- Quit Sibelius if it isn’t running
- Right-click (or control-click) on the Sibelius application
- On Mac, go to the folder Contents > Components > Resources
- Locate the file Startup Sound.wav
- Make a copy of it just in case (i.e., to your Desktop), then delete it
- You will be prompted for your administrator password
- Make a new wave file in your favorite audio editor, and name it Startup Sound.wav
- Copy or move this new file into the same location from which you just deleted the previous file
Start Sibelius and have your own Monday Night Party every day:
Keep in mind that while harmless, this procedure is not officially supported, and you may lose your new startup sound if you install any updates to Sibelius.
*British readers will recognize this as a tune called “Heavy Action” composed by Johnny Pearson.